Slowly over the last semester the Magical Minds and I have been building a list of metaphors and similes from the books and poems we read. The kids have a vague idea of what these figures of speech are, but they have yet to use them in their own writing. They have yet to discover the power of figurative language to bring words to life.
Today we dug in, playing with metaphors and similes as we worked on a list poem in honor of our school’s 15th anniversary. Here is what we came up with:
- ISE is like happiness, filled with love and kindness.
- ISE is a ship full of travelers on the ocean of learning.
- ISE is a store full of writers, mathematicians and artists.
- ISE is a writer with a pencil, revising and changing over time.
- ISE has a handful of kids filled with good attitudes.
- ISE is a land of learners.
- ISE is a house full of giggles.
- ISE is a friendly planet, with people from around the world.
- ISE is like a hospital where everyone is cared for.
- ISE is like a big, friendly, fuzzy animal because it’s kind and smiley.
- ISE is sweet like knowledge (a reference to Thank You, Mr. Falker by P. Polacco)
- Poetry Tips and Help with Similes (brighthub.com)